Long or short – hair has always been a symbol of power and beauty and reflects cultural as well as sociological aspects of our everyday life. Although hair fashion may undergo changes from season to season, the symbolism of long hair in women can even be found in ancient history.
In this article, I am going to explain how to grow long hair fast.
“Rapunzel, Rapunzel, Let Down Your Hair” – The Symbolism Of Hair
Hair can have man symbols such as virility, strength or femininity. In the story of Samson and Delilah, Samson’s strength is measured by the length of his hair.
After his hair was unwillingly cut while he was sleeping, he lost his superhuman strength, which can be seen as a castration symbol.
In “Rapunzel”, a German fairy tale by the brothers Grimm, the cutting of hair may be a symbol in a psychoanalytic sense as it can be interpreted as a separation from a mothering object, castration and reparation.
How Does Hair Grow? The 3 Hair Growth Phases
While some are lucky to have the genetic makeup to grow long and lustrous locks, others are struggling to find a way to grow thicker and healthier hair.
Our scalp can have between 90,000 and 150,000 hair follicles, from which our hair grows. There are 3 phases of hair growth.
1. Anagen phase: This is the phase where hair is actually growing.
2. Catagen phase: After the growth phase comes the transitional phase where the hair follicles shrink and the papilla detach. During this phase, our hair is lacking a supply of nutrients.
3. Telogen phase: In this resting phase, which is the final stage of hair growth, hair falls out. After that, the follicles rest until for around 3 months until the whole cycle is repeated.
The length of each phase can differ and usually depends on genetics. People who experience longer telogen phases have hair shedding due to the fact that no new hair is growing, which may result in thinning hair.
When this happens, the goal should be to encourage hair growth by jump-starting the anagen phase.
Things That Stunt Hair Growth
There are certain things you should avoid if you want your hair to grow long fast. These include:
- Hormonal imbalances: Whether it is stress, puberty, menstruation or your thyroid – hormonal imbalances can cause hair loss. While estrogen and progesterone promote hair growth, androgens and testosterone discourage it.
- Lack of nutrients: A poor diet is another factor that can trigger hair loss. If you are lacking essential nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and protein, your hair growth will likely slow down.
- Overstyling: Using heat tools frequently weakens your hair. Try to cut down on them in order to avoid damaging your hair.
- Tight hairstyles: Wearing tight ponytails, buns or braids every day can cause damage to your hair as well. Try not to do this too often.
- Using the wrong products: Products that contain harsh chemicals can cause a lot of damage. Make sure to use more natural products instead.
Tips For Fast Hair Growth
1. A healthy and balanced diet: If you want to grow thicker and stronger hair, your diet should consist of beans, leafy greens, chicken and lean fish. A balanced diet is high in vitamins, protein and minerals and can make your hair grow fast as hair is mostly made up of protein.
2. Don’t wash your hair too often: Some people tend to wash their hair every day because of its refreshing effect and stress relief (I personally am one of those people). Using shampoo every day makes your hair dry out and lose its essential oils.
3. Massage your scalp: A scalp massage not only feels good but also helps stimulate the blood circulation. Coconut oil is a great stimulant and may speed up the hair growth process.
4. Avoid brushing your hair too often: Although brushing your hair stimulates the scalp and helps spread the natural oils down the hair strands, you should avoid brushing your hair more than 10 minutes per day.
5. Rinse your hair with vinegar: This will boost hair growth and give your hair a shinier look and create a Rapunzel-like lengthy tress.
6. Trim your hair regularly: Once in three months you should have your split ends removed by a good hair stylist. This increases the chance of growing hair faster.
7. Ditch your cotton pillowcase: Use silk pillow covers instead of cotton pillow covers. Silk will cause less friction, which means you will wake up with fewer tangles.
8. Take supplements: Supplements like biotin or multivitamin tablets will increase your chances of fast hair growth in case your diet is lacking essential minerals and vitamins.
9. Stay hydrated: You should at least drink 8 glasses of water every day. Staying hydrated will flush out toxins and help your body function properly, which will help promote hair growth as a result.
10. Disinfect you hair: Use antimicrobial products to treat microbial infections in the scalp (e.g. psoriasis, eczema, seborrheic dermatitis etc.) as they can weaken the follicles and damage your hair strands.
11. Lower your stress levels: As you probably know, stress is one of the main causes of hair loss. This has a negative impact on your natural hair growth and makes hair lose its density. Do something that relaxes your mind like practicing yoga, listening to your favorite music or reading a book.
Last But Not Least: Be Patient!
Growing hair requires patience and a lot of consistency. Don’t feel discouraged and frustrated if you don’t see fast results. If you stick to the tips mentioned above, you are definitely on the right track! In case you want to read more about remedies for hair growth, check out my previous articles:
I hope you enjoyed reading this article! If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below and I will be more than happy to help you out.
Founder of The Hairy Solution