While some people consider gray hair as a sign of maturity and wisdom, others feel older once they have discovered a gray hair strand. In order to look youthful again and to cover up the gray hair, they start dyeing their hair on a regular basis. Most of all, they would turn back time if they could.
What if I told you this was actually possible and all up to you? In this article, I am going to show you, how to reverse gray hair naturally. But first, let’s have a look at some hard facts about gray hair.
Why Does Our Hair Turn Gray?
Our hair follicles contain pigment cells known as melanocytes. These melanocytes produce a chemical known as melanin, which is a chemical that gives our hair its color, whether it is black, blonde, brown or any other color in between.
As we get older, the activity in melanocytes slows down until the pigment cells in our hair follicles gradually die, meaning that our hair doesn’t contain as much melanin and, as a result, turns into a more transparent color.
Some people get gray hair at a very young age, say, in their 20s or 30s. When we get gray hair is mostly determined by our genes but it is also said that experiencing a big trauma or shock can turn your hair gray as well – even overnight! However, there is little evidence that this actually happens.
Why A Lifestyle Change Can Affect Your Hair Color
If you’ve just recently spotted some gray hairs, chances are high that you can keep your original and natural hair color by changing your lifestyle. Here is a list of things that may be helpful:
- Sun exposure: The sun has a tendency to lighten our natural hair color. Therefore, you should wear a hat to protect your hair.
- Obesity: It is scientifically proven that obese people are prone to experience an early onset of gray hair.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can shrink and even damage your hair follicles. Some research even indicates that smoking can lead to a premature graying of your hair.
- Take vitamins: Vitamin A, B, D and E keep your hair healthy.
- Oxidative stress: Oxidative stress may eventually contribute to the graying of your hair by promoting a breakdown of melanocytes. A diet high in antioxidants may protect your hair against the effects of oxidative stress.
- Styling tools and hair products: Bleaching, harsh soaps and shampoos, heat tools or over-washing your hair can damage your hair.
- Get enough minerals: zinc, copper, magnesium, iron and selenium are minerals that are important for hair repair.
Home Remedies To Treat Gray Hair
There are many natural remedies you can try to fight gray hair. These include:
- Almond oil
- Curry leaves
- Coconut oil
- Blackstrap molasses
- Black sesame seeds
- Carrot juice
- Wheatgrass juice
Natural Hair Dye
Instead of buying a hair dye that is full of chemicals, you can mix your very own all natural hair dye. The only thing you will have to do is to repeat the dyeing process several times before you can see a color change.
Here are the primary ingredients for mixing a blonde, brown, black or red hair color:
- Blonde hair color: lemon peel, marigold flower, chamomile flower tea, saffron
- Brown hair color: cinnamon, coffee
- Black hair color: black tea, nettle, sage, black walnut
- Red hair color: carrot juice, rose petals, beet juice
Here are some alternatives:
- Black pepper (piper nigrum): Take 1 tablespoon of black pepper and mix it with 1/2 cup of yogurt and add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to it. Apply the mixture to your hair and let it sit for 1 hour before rinsing it out. Repeat this procedure 3 times per week.
- Henna (Lawsonia inermis): Put henna powder into one cup of black coffee or tea and mix it until you get the consistency of yogurt. Cover the bowl and let it sit for 6 hours. Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and apply the mixture to your hair. You can rinse it off after 1 to 3 hours, depending on your satisfaction with the result.
- Torai ridged gourd (Luffa acutangula). Boil torai in coconut oil until it turns black. This will take around 4 hours. As soon as it cools down, massage a small amount into your scalp. Rinse it off after 45 minutes. Repeat this 2-3 times a week.
While we can’t reverse aging, there are plenty of solutions to reverse gray hair. Before you get started, it is best to consult a doctor first just in case you should be allergic to any of the above mentioned remedies.
You can start with one remedy and see if it works. If you are not satisfied with the results, you can try another remedy. That way you will see which one works best for you.
Say goodbye to gray hair and embrace your natural and true hair color!
I hope you enjoyed reading this article. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment in the comment section down below and I will be more than happy to help you out!
Founder of The Hairy Solution