One of the many pitfalls that comes with treating alopecia is the hair growth process, which can turn into a real waiting game. After my hair started thinning, I started to feel more and more uncomfortable leaving the house without a wig I used to wear in order to hide the areas of sparse hair and feel confident again.
If you have hair loss or thinning hair, wearing a wig can boost your self-confidence all at once, but before buying a wig, there are a few things you need to know.
Selecting a wig can turn into a challenging task because of the overwhelming variety. Before buying a wig, you will have to choose between human hair and synthetic hair. Understanding the difference between both is a good starting point for selecting your own, unique wig.
In this article, I am going to show you the difference between wigs and hairpieces for thinning hair made of human hair and synthetic hair so that you can decide for yourself which one to choose.
Human Hair Wigs And Hairpieces
Human Hair wigs are made of harvested human hair and are probably the most popular and most-wanted wigs because of their natural look and feel. To an untrained eye, it can even be hard to tell whether it is a wig or real hair when you wear one. While those wigs are more expensive, with a proper care, they can last for years.
There are four types of human hair, which are commonly used for human hair wigs: Asian, Caucasian, Indian and Indonesian. Though Asian hair can be difficult to style due to its resistance to curls, the hair strands are very thick, whereas Caucasian and Indian hair have a fine denier and Indian hair has more texture than Caucasian hair.
Indonesian hair is found greater in supply and, compared to the other types, less costly. Nevertheless, all these wigs are popular and sold to many people. Some of them are suffering from hair loss whereas other people wear it for religious reasons or even just for fun.
Although the quality of human hair wigs is much better compared to other types of wigs, human hair wigs require much more effort and hair care, just like it is the case with real hair.
- The Texture: You can choose the hair texture that matches your hair.
- Natural Look: In comparison with synthetic hair wigs, human hair wigs have a more natural look.
- Styling Versatility: Whether it is the color or the styling, human hair wigs can easily be changed to resemble your own natural hair.
- Durability: Human hair wigs can last over a year with the right hair care.
- Cost: Harvested human hair is always more expensive than its synthetic counterpart.
- The Weight: Human hair wigs usually feel heavier when worn than synthetic hair wigs.
- Styling: Human hair wigs require more styling effort.
- Fragility: They can be damaged after harsh brushing or overusing heated tools for styling.
- Color: Since every individual has a different hair color and human hair wigs are made of multiple people’s hair, it is hard to find a human hair wig that exactly matches your own hair color. Moreover, the color of a human hair wig will fade over time due to a frequent exposure to light.
- Proper Wig Care: Human hair wigs frequently need to be washed, re-styled and deep conditioned just like real hair.
- Weather Sensitivity: Depending on the weather, a human hair wig can become frizzy or dry.
Synthetic Hair Wigs And Hairpieces
Synthetic hair wigs are made of man-made fibers, which exactly look and even feel like real hair. Just because synthetic hair wigs aren’t made of human hair doesn’t mean they are of less quality – on the contrary! Buying a synthetic hair wig can have many advantages.
With a high quality synthetic hair wig you wouldn’t even be able to tell if it is human hair or not, unless you have a human hair wig to compare it with.
Unlike human hair wigs, synthetic hair wigs don’t require that much hair care and styling. They can easily be worn in bad weather without frizzing.
However, one of the drawbacks of synthetic hair is the lack of versatility. Synthetic hair wigs can’t be easily styled like their human hair counterparts for instance and are durable for about 4-6 months when properly cared for, whereas heat friendly synthetic hair wigs last about 2-3 months.
- Cost: Unlike human hair wigs, synthetic hair wigs are relatively cheap.
- Easy Care: Synthetic wigs never have to be styled because of their style retention.
- Color Variety: You can pick the color of your choice.
- Natural Look: High quality synthetic hair wigs can exactly look like real human hair.
- Style: Regardless of the weather, a synthetic wig will keep its style because of a so called “Style memory”.
- Maintenance: They require little maintenance.
- Longevity: Synthetic hair wigs only last about 4-6 months.
- Too Shiny: Cheaper wigs usually have an unnatural looking shine.
- Color: It is not recommended recoloring your wig.
- Lack of Versatility: Unlike human hair wigs, you cannot use heated tools for synthetic hair wigs unless it is a heat friendly wig.
The Agony Of Choice
Before you decide to buy a wig, there are a few more things you should consider.
- What type of hair loss do you have?
- What is your budget and how much are you willing to spend on a wig?
- How often will you wear your wig?
- Are you planning on using your wig in everyday life?
- Would you like to change your look now and then?
- Is it okay if your wig requires more maintenance?
Make sure to take your time and answer all the above questions before you rush to the next wig store. Remember that hair can change your look in an instant and the right wig for you is just around the corner, waiting to be worn like a crown!
If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below and I will be more than happy to help you out.
Founder of The Hairy Solution